How To Fix BlackBerry’s Yahoo Messenger Service Not Enabled For This Handheld Error

How to Connect To Yahoo Messenger On BlackBerry Curve 3GIt’s been over 2 weeks now since I got myself a BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 with a Globacom Nigeria BIS plan.  Right from the onset, I battled to get it working 100%. Amongst the many problems I encountered were frequent inability to make phone calls while on the 3G network and inability to download files of over 4.8MB in size.

Of them all, the one that bugged me the most was the inability to sign in to my Yahoo Messenger. I kept getting the frustrating error message – Service Not Enabled For This Handheld.

After a few calls to the GLO BlackBerry Customer Care and a visit to their branch here in Sokoto, I was directed to email their BlackBerry Department and that was how my problem was solved.

The procedure was quite simple as you are about to see.

NOTE: This tutorial makes the assumption that you own a BlackBerry Curve 9300 and that you are on the Globacom Nigeria Network. I can’t assure you that the service book download will work for other networks.

Let’s begin Winking smile

Step 1: Download the Yahoo Messenger Service Book V2 (Right click and save as) and BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Once downloaded, proceed to install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Step 2: Launch the Desktop Manager and backup your data as shown below by clicking on Backup Now

How to Connect To Yahoo Messenger On BlackBerry Curve 3G

Leave the settings as shown below but feel free to modify the location of the backup file. Hit the backup button and wait a minute for the backup to complete

How To Backup Your BlackBerry Curve 3G Data

Step 3: Once you are through backing up your entire BlackBerry Device, restore the Yahoo Messenger Service Book file to your handset using Desktop Manager

How To Install Yahoo Messenger Version 2 Service Book

Set the Backup Folder to the location of where you downloaded the service book to. Leave other settings as shown below, hit the restore button and wait a few seconds for the Yahoo Messenger Service Book to be loaded unto your BlackBerry Curve 9300.

How To Install Yahoo Messenger Version 2 Service Book

Step 4: Once the restore process is done, manually register your BlackBerry handset with the RIM network via the HRT (Host Routing Tables).

To do this  go to Menu >> Options >> Advanced Options  >> Host Routing Tables >> Menu >> Click Register Now and seconds after you should get a message that says “Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network.”

Step 5: If you’ve created a BIS account for your computer, login with your username and password and re-send your BIS service books  >> Click on Help at the end of the Screen > Click on Send Service Books.

If you don’t have access via your computer, go to Messages on your BlackBerry device and click on Menu >> Options >> Email Account Management >> Scroll down to end of screen and click on Help >> Send Service Books.

Step 6: If you find that you still can’t sign in to Yahoo Messenger, pull out your battery, wait 30 seconds then reinsert and power your device again. It should work.

The above was what I did on my own device and Yahoo Messenger started to work Winking smile.

A big thank you goes out to Eloyi Soneye of Globacom’s Corporate Call Center for saving the day. You rock man Winking smile.

Author Photo

Article written by On

Doctor by day, Blogger by Night.

I own a BlackBerry Z10, Lenovo P780, Lenovo Yoga 8, a BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB Wi-Fi and a Dell Inspiron N411Z.

You can chat with me directly via Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and my BBM Channel C000B896A

100 Comments so far. Leave Yours Below

If you want to ask a question regarding anything, do please make use of the floating search bar at the top of this site. If you don't find what you're looking for, then feel free to ask your question

Most comments will get a reply within 1hr to 24hrs

Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.

1. Aileme Omogbai says:

Thanks, stumbled on this and I’m glad cos it worked..
    Don’t have to go to Glo office..

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

So glad to hear that. If you’ve got a twitter or facebook account, please share it with your friends. Thanks ;-)

2. Dana says:

Thanks for the tips. So, here how we can fix the yahoo messenger issue on BlackBerry.

3. Jane | Find All Answers says:

Hi Udegbunam,

Nice tutorial! You should have saved the day of many who own BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 and need Yahoo Messenger badly!

Cheers,
    Jane.

4. Janet @ The Natural Networker says:

Udegbunam, aloha. What a terrific tutorial. While happily the info does not apply to me, should I ever have a techie type problem I will ask you if you know how to fix it. If you provide me with a similar tutorial to fix the problem, I know I will be able to follow the steps and quickly solve the problem.

Nice to meet you, Udegbunam. Look forward to reading more of your posts. Aloha. Janet

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Thanks for dropping by and next time I’ll be sharing a post that you can relate to. Detailed tutorials are my speciality

5. Nanette Saylor says:

So glad to have found your site, Udegbunam.
    This tutorial is really thorough, and I’m certain, will be very helpful for those struggling with this issue.
    Now I know where to check-in when I’m struggling with my technology (which is often!)
    Wishing you well-
    Nanette

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Thanks Nanette. Haven’t noticed you @ my campaign. Let me go check again and see if I can return the favor. Thanks for dropping by ;-)

6. Jon says:

Udegbunam,

This is my first time here and, man, you knocked this tutorial out of the park. Very detailed; I know who I’m going to should I have any related issues with my cell in the future!

Good job…I’ll stop by again soon.

Jon

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Lol. I ain’t no expert in cell phones Jon. I was just relentless in finding a solution for this and I’m just happy for the opportunity to share it with everyone :-)

7. eric says:

As always, a great tutorial.

You should write a tutorial on why you don’t need a cell phone with you at all hours of the day.

My grandma didn’t have one, she didn’t need one, she got everything done.

I had one about 10 yrs ago but never answered it when i was away from the house. so no cell phone for me. I use skype when i am home. pay 30 a yr for unlimited everything.

the best part is that no one can bother me when i am out and about doing something fun. ;-)

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Which I could say the same thing man. I’d be very lost without my cell phone. It’s my everything. Music, movies and the internet in one small device.

8. Sarah Russell says:

Great tutorial – very detailed!!!

Thanks for sharing :)

9. Dele says:

Thanks. You solved a nagging problem.

10. Neil says:

Really detailed tutorial Udegbunam, I’m not a great fan of Yahoo messanger and prefer to stick with Skype,

11. Eddy Huang says:

i m a new bb user from china, and faced exactly the same problem accessing ym. your quick guide has solved the problem. thanks!! xiexie!!

12. lynda says:

i not understand for step 4..kindly assist..mean we need manually
    To do this go to Menu >> Options >> Advanced Options >> Host Routing Tables >> Menu >> Click Register Now and seconds after you should get a message that says “Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network.”

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

I don’t know how best to explain that part. Step 4 is pretty self explanatory. The sign >> means go to.

13. tunneroro says:

Nice one, unfortunately, I visited GloWorld without success, before I got your right-up. I worked on BB 9800!

14. Chioma says:

Hi udegbunam, i got my bb 9530 and have been unable to use it. Anytime i try to browse with it, it says,’your device does not currently have any browser configuration service book entries. Contact your service provider to enable the browser on your device’. I have called AIRTEL customer care numerous times and they can’t solve the problem. What do i do?

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Try steps 4 and 5 to see if you can automatically have your service books sent to your device again

15. jhei says:

hi! i just wanna ask where can i download this Yahoo Messenger Service Book V2 and im using torch

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Here’s d link: http://cdn.patchworkoftips.com/wp-content/uploads/YMESSENGERv2_servicebooks.ipd

• jhei says:

pls teach me how to make this work in torch,
      btw im here in doha qatar, is this going to work here??

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

I don’t have a BlackBerry Torch so I can’t teach you how to get it done on a torch. This tutorial was done with my BlackBerry curve 3G and folks with different BB models have successfully used this hack. Just follow the instructions above please.

16. Lewis says:

Wow! It work! Am so grateful to you as this was a problem I grappled with for weeks. Thanks alot!

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

You’re welcome and do please feel free to share it on your fave social media network eg Facebook. Cheers ;-)

17. Dean says:

Hello Chukwudi, I have read yur writeup and it is brilliantly simple- unfortunately I am stuck @ the very first step. Step 1 opens with Download Service Book, I presume I am to use my phone(Bold 2) as you did not mention using a PC. When I click on a link it takes me to a page with some info on it- but here’s the thing-the page is not downloadable. HELP!!

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

I just checked it on my BlackBerry and the clicking on the yahoo messenger service book link immediately initiates a download. Try right clicking and save as to see if that works for you.

Cheers ;-)

• Dean says:

Wow- looks as if there’s something wrong with my phone then- clicking on the link doesn’t initiate the download for me and if right clicking just means pressing the blackberry button on my bold- that doesn’t do anything for me either! What do you think is wrong?

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Try downloading it via Opera Mini. That’s how I downloaded mine. Recommended way is to download the file to PC not BB

18. hey says:

Hey,will u plz tell me what is enterprize email? And I have the same problem,how can I register my bb

19. Mikel says:

Thanks a lot.. It actually worked but this only happens on glo coz mtn connevts directly.. Thanks 4 d idea shared though.. More grace 2 ur elbows..

20. Jcool says:

Bro you are too good, do u know i took this stuff to Glo office here in Warri and their staff couldn’t resolve it…Thanks alot

21. STEVEN says:

My BB storm internet connections hanging. booting always

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

I don’t understand what you mean when yiu say your internet connections is always booting.

22. Lete Nwibasi says:

My blackberry bold cannot register me to use yahoo mail. It keep saying username or password is incorrect, when they r correct. I don’t know why. I wanted to set up my yahoo acct so I can receive emails using their push technology. Pls assist

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Is your yahoo messenger working? If it’s not also working, you might need to download the service book in this post as well

• Sopitan Sunday says:

23. mcpaddy says:

Hey bro can I use that step for my bb tour? Am on globacom also! Pls how do I contact you?

24. mcpaddy says:

Its now working, I collected my girlfriend mtn that its bis is still on I put it in my tour my yahoo mess worked and I removed it and put my glo it still worked! My bb pin 30deecf8 or yahoo- oladotunsoyinka@yahoo.com

25. mcpaddy says:

Oladotunsoyinka@yahoo.com or 30DEECF8 add me

26. Don Darlington says:

Thanks man.. It really work for me fine.. I am happy and am in Ghana using MTN.

27. Rashid Abbasi says:

hi.

I’ve tried it and it worked for my BB 9300 Curve.

Thanks alot :)

28. Jen says:

This is the perfect answer I was looking for, thanks so much. It worked……

29. Marygrace_canedo says:

Hello there Sir, i just got my blackberry and I can’t login to yahoo messenger and at the same time can’t add my yahoo mail to my blackberry. I have read your post but would like to ask if this could be done using a Mac?

Thanks so much and good day!!!

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

I’m not so sure if it would work on a MAC. You would just have to try it out and see for yourself.

30. Diana says:

hello.can u help me to fix the same problem but for bb 9780?i can do till the step 4 but i didn’t receive the message .thank you :)

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

You could remove your battery, put it back in and try again

• Diana says:

i did.on step 4 i receive :registrion mesage sent! but i not received back “Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network.” :( which is the problem?

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Check to see if your yahoo messenger is now working and it isn’t I suggest you contact your network provider. Rebooting your device solves a lot of problem but ain’t no guarantee that it will fix this one

31. Omer says:

I had the same problem in my bold 9780…I tried and its working….thanks for sharing this.

32. hachiko says:

i haVE PROBLEM on step for after i hit the register now, nothing responce. i also do rebooting my bb many time, but nothing happen,. what should i do? help

33. hachiko says:

i haVE PROBLEM on step 4 for after i hit the register now, and the it says registration message sent and then after that nothing responce. i also do rebooting my bb many time, but nothing happen,. what should i do? help

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

If you followed the steps very well and still can’t get it to work then I’m sorry, I don’t know of any other alternative.

34. Mughis says:

Hey it was Awesome ! Thanks A TON! Yahoo is now working perfectly for me :D

35. Jhaz says:

Hi Sir! This tutorial really helped me a lot :) After several days of trying and searching on what to do with this kind of problem, thank God I’ve found you :)
    But I just noticed one thing. Every time I logged out my account, and after awhile when i tried to log in again, it came out the same problem again, that it is Invalid ID and Password. So i have to restore the patch again. I just want to ask though, what should i do so that it will permanently stored to my service book? I hope for your prompt response, Thank you so much! :)

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Did you remove your battery for 30 seconds after restoring the patch?

• Jhaz says:

yes Sir, i did. then all of the applications have been reset and even my previous messages. But I cannot log in to ym again :(

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

I sincerely don’t know what the problem could be on your device. I recently downgraded my blackberry from OS 6 to OS 5 and even after the downgrade, I uploaded the patch and Yahoo Messenger started working again. Maybe you could try restoring the patch again then rebooting your berry before trying to login again.

• Jhaz says:

alright Sir, thank you for your advice, Have a great day!

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

Wish I could have been of more help man. Do have a fab week ;-)

• Jhaz says:

Sir, I just noticed in my case, after restoring the patch in my BB, i should not reboot it and just leave it as is otherwise the patch will not work. And every time I activated my email server to it, the patch also didn’t work. So I’d rather maintain my YM instead of my email.

36. Alex Speed says:

hello.can u help me to fix the same problem but for bb 8520? i can do till the step 4, but i didn’t receive the message. on step 4 i receive :registrion mesage sent! but i not received back “Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network.” which is the problem?
    yahoo messenger is still not working (is trying to sign in but it isn’t entering in. only the smile icon is jumping ), i have rebooted my device(removed the battery for 30seconds), and still nothing. and it’s not an internet connection problem. please help me

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

The only thing I can suggest is that you try it again and see what happens. So far so good, it has worked across most BlackBerry devices I’ve tried it on including the curve 2.

• Alex Speed says:

i tried, it seems i am not receving “Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network.” messege, what can i do in this case???

• Udegbunam Chukwudi says:

I really wish I knew what to do but I don’t man. I hope you have an active Blackberry Internet Service subscription

37. rema agustin says:

OMG! you were the only answer to my problem, after days of trying all sorts of possible solutions, all of which i read on the internet, and then i got here on your page, and these is the only perfect solution I got.. Thank you so much!!! This tutorial is such a great help..again thank you! God Bless!!!

38. mihai says:

HI,

It did not work. I went to Stept 4 and I DID not recieve the message “Your handheld has been registered with the wireless network.”

What does stept 5 Means?

39. Erwin says:

It doesn’t work for my Torch. I’m using Telkomsel, Indonesia Provider… :(

40. achan says:

good advice man thanks alot

41. Khurram says:

Hi, I hAve torch 9800 and I had the same problem and I badly want to fix that , one thing more skype is also not working on this cell , really I m fed up of this problem

42. Christa says:

How do I enable yahoo messenger on my BB Curve 9300 when I’m in Southa Africa and use the Cell C network? Please assist. Thank you.

• Chukwudi Emmanuel Udegbunam says:

@Christa: have you tried the steps in this article? If you haven’t, pls do so and if you have and it still won’t work for you, I suggest you contact your service provider asap

43. Nenny says:

saya tidak menemukan blackberry desktop manager di bb saya, sy pakai bb gemini curve warna hitam…

44. Nenny says:

I’ve received a reply to your handheld has been registered with the wireless network, his next what should I do? I try to go to yahoo messenger but can also ..
    please help me

45. buyi mthalane says:

My blackberry account has been locked and I tried anything to set a new one please HELP ME!BB 9800 Torch