Battery Life remains one of the major factors to consider when purchasing a mobile device and that’s why top tech sites such as GSM Arena dedicate a good portion of their reviews to it. The calibration methods employed by GSM Arena seems to widely accepted by other tech blogs thus the reason why I’ve adopted it in a few reviews of mine.
For tech bloggers who review Android smartphones, here’s how you can run your video playback and web browsing battery stress tests a la GSM Arena
NOTE: All tests are to be done with batteries charged to their full 100% capacity.
How To Run A Video Playback Battery Life Test
- Set your device to Airplane mode
- Reduce the screen brightness to 50% via Settings Switcher which can be found in the app tray
- Make sure no unnecessary third party app is running in the background/notification tray
- Open MX Player, go to Settings >> Player >> Screen and make sure the Brightness control feature is not ticked. This way you are rest assured that your video will play at the actual 50% screen brightness set before.
- Start playing your video, then long press on the Next button to reveal a popup that allows you to Loop the video. Tick Loop one
- Plug in your earphones and set to a comfortable volume and start timing your video.
- Stop video playback at 10% of battery life and calculate time spent *watching* your looped video
How To Run A Web Browsing Battery Life Test
- Turn off all internet connections except Wi-Fi
- Launch Wakey, hit the bulb to set the screen to permanently on.
- Launch Dolphin Browser, go to Tab Reload and set it to reload every 15 seconds.
- Connect to the Wi-Fi network, load a page of your choice and leave the device close to the router for stronger signals
- Start count down and stop when battery hits 10%
That’s all guys. Happy battery testing geeks
Inspired by GSM Arena
Please rate & share this article to help others. Thanks
You’ll also like:
- Asus Memo Pad 7 ME176C - $125 Tablet with 15hrs* Battery Life
- Lenovo P70-A Video Playback Battery Life Test
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Prime Camera Samples And Battery Life Test
- Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Windows 8.1 - Android KitKat Announced
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 GT-N5100 3G/Wi-Fi Review